Disclosure: Today’s content is in partnership with Universal Pictures.
Ready to slip into something a shade darker this Valentine’s Day?
Get ready gals, because Fifty Shades Darker is coming to theaters this Friday, February 10th. The sexy phenomenon is back, with even more passion and mystery, just in time for Valentine’s Day.
Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan are back as Anastasia and Christian in the second installment of this fiery hot trilogy, and from the sounds of it, this film is gonna be a good one:
When a wounded Christian Grey tries to entice a cautious Ana Steele back into his life, she demands a new arrangement before she will give him another chance. As the two begin to build trust and find stability, shadowy figures from Christian’s past start to circle the couple, determined to destroy their hopes for a future together. (Courtesy of Universal Pictures)
Sounds all kinds of thrilling and seductive, right?? Color us intrigued.
To get ready for the ultimate girls’ night at the movies, I invited my number one gal pal, built-in-best-friend-for-life–my sister–over for a pre-movie mini book club and cocktail party. My sis and I bonded over a girls’ night with the first Fifty Shades of Grey movie, so of course we had to get prepared for this coming weekend together.
I set the table with a smokin’ hot tablescape and got the bar cart good and stocked.
Creating a sexy, fun Fifty Shades Darker party atmosphere was super simple–I had everything I needed at home. Think all things slinky, silky, and sparkly:
- Simple fabrics spread across the table instead of formal tablecloths–black silk, chiffon, or sparkly tulle really set a smoky-looking scene
- sparkly jewels draped over every surface
- Candles, candles, candles!
I even created three signature cocktails inspired by some of my favorite quotes from the book:
- The Anything-but-Vanilla: a vanilla cake twist on the classic White Russian
“Nothing plain or old about vanilla–it’s a very intriguing flavor.”
- The Sunset : a smoky mezcal and pomegranate twist on the classic Tequila Sunrise
“We’ve chased the dawn, Anastasia, now the dusk.”
- Silk Stockings: blood orange and lemon juice with liquid smoke, vodka, orange liqueur, and mezcal
“Sweet Jesus, you’re wearing stockings.”
You can find the recipes below to host your own girls’ cocktail night!
Girl talk + cocktails + wine + Fifty Shades Darker= Most. Fun. Ever. I don’t think I’ve smiled, giggled, or laughed until I cried so much in my whole life.
This photo pretty much sums up our entire relationship, in case you were wondering.
Angie and I had a great time reading our favorite parts of the book out loud to each other and talking about all things Christian and Ana.
Can you tell we tend to get just a little overdramatic?
We had so much fun with our Fifty Shades Darker cocktail party–we can’t wait to see it come to life on the big screen!
Will you be seeing Fifty Shades Darker? Let me know in the comments below!
Fans can get their tickets now on Fandango: http://unvrs.al/FSDTix
- 1.5 ounces mezcal
- 0.5 ounces triple sec, such as Cointreau
- 3 ounces orange juice
- Pomegranate syrup**
- Dampen the edge of a rocks glass with pomegranate syrup, then dip in coarse smoked sea salt (regular coarse salt will also work).
- Fill glass with ice. Add mezcal and triple sec and stir.
- Pour orange juice over top, then fill glass almost to the brim with prosecco.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of pomegranate syrup into the drink.
- Combine 1 cup pomegranate juice and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Lower to a simmer and cook for five minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- 1.5 ounces coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
- .5 ounces cake-flavored vodka
- .5 ounces vanilla vodka
- 6 ounces heavy whipping cream
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Combine ingredients and shake until frothy. Pour over ice to serve
- Blood orange cocktail base**
- 1.5 ounces vodka
- .5 ounces mezcal
- .5 ounces triple sec, such as Cointreau
- 1 cup fresh squeezed blood orange or Cara Cara juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups orange juice (no pulp)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ cup simple syrup
- 6-7 dashes of hickory liquid smoke
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice. Add vodka, mezcal, and triple sec and stir. Pour blood orange cocktail base on top until glass is full. Garnish with a blood orange slice.
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and stir thoroughly.