I hope I haven’t fooled you too much, dear reader. What I mean is, some nights, the cooking situation in our house is pretty much nonexistent. You and I both know that there are days when making dinner is the LAST thing anyone wants to do. This meal is the perfect solution for those kinds of nights. All it takes is a little chopping up veggies, browning meat, and opening a couple cans. Best part about it? This Turkey Taco Flatbread is a lightened up version of my favorite Mexican dishes, with a pizza-like twist!
I made these flatbreads a couple of weeks ago, and they were a huge hit. It’s like pizza and tacos got all smooshed together. It’s got the thin crust of a pizza, with the fillings of a taco–lettuce, tomato, green onions, hot sauce… yum.
The secret is the Flatout flatbreads that become the crust:
These are so perfect–they make amazing wraps when filled with turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato–whatever–and when crisped up in the oven, they also make perfect pizza. The best part? It’s only 90 calories for one wrap (I think that’s the part I like the best).
You can adapt these flatbreads to whatever your tastes are. Change your toppings depending on what you’ve got on hand, add more of your favorites, subtract the stuff you don’t like… they’re super flexible. Add a little spinach on top for an extra healthy punch. You can also change out the turkey for beef, chicken, or pork, or change out the refried beans for black beans. The options are really endless.
The greatest part of this meal is that it’s ready in less than 30 minutes. If you’ve been running around all day, on your feet for hours, exhausted beyond belief, you can still throw this meal together and avoid the drive thru line. Your health will thank you.
Turkey Taco Flatbread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded + deveined, finely minced
- 1 can diced mild green chiles
- Taco Seasoning (1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon minced onion, 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper)
- 4 Flatout Flatbreads
- 1/2 can fat-free refried beans
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- 3-4 sliced green onions
- finely minced cilantro
- plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- hot sauce (or salsa)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno, and green chiles and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
2. Add the ground turkey and cook until no pink remains.
3. Add the taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Stir until the meat is covered in seasoning, and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
4. Place the flatbreads on a cookie sheet. Cover with refried beans and 1/4 of the turkey mixture each. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in the oven for about 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the flatbreads are crispy.
5. Add all of the toppings–lettuce, tomato, cilantro, green onions, Greek yogurt, and hot sauce.